- Assistant Professor of Physics at the Faculty of Textile Technology University of Zagreb (Department of Fundamental Natural and Technical Sciences)
Fields of interest:
- Ultracold atomic gases: interacting quantum systems, synthetic gauge fields
Five selected publications:
- Lelas, N. Drpić, T. Dubček, D. Jukić, R. Pezer, and H. Buljan, Laser assisted tunneling in a Tonks-Girardeau gas, New J. Phys. 18, 095002 (2016).
- Dubček, K. Lelas, D. Jukić, R. Pezer, M. Soljačić, and H. Buljan, The Harper-Hofstadter Hamiltonian and conical diffraction in photonic lattices with grating assisted tunneling, New J. Phys. 17, 125002 (2015).
- K. Lelas, T. Ševa. H. Buljan, and J. Goold, The pinning quantum phase transition in a Tonks_Girardeau gas: diagnostics by ground state fidelity and Loschmidt echo, Phys. Rev. A 86, 033620 (2012).
- K. Lelas, D. Jukić, and H. Buljan, Ground state properties of a one-dimensional strongly-interacting Bose-Fermi mixture in a double well potential, Phys. Rev A 80, 053617 (2009).
- Chatrchyan et al (CMS Collaboration), Transverse-Momentum and Pseudorapidity Distributions of Charged Hadrons in pp Collisions at sqrt(s)=7Tev, Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 022002 (2010)
Karlo Lelas received a master’s degree in physics from the University of Zagreb in 2007 and defended his PhD thesis at the same university in 2012 (supervisor Hrvoje Buljan). In the period from 2007-2015 he was a scientific novice and teaching assistant at Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture (FESB) at University of Split. During this period, he worked in two fields: (i) theoretical physics of strongly interacting one-dimensional quantum systems, and (ii) experimental elementary particle physics. He started his work as a scientific novice in the field (ii) but with time he focused on the field (i), in which he defended his PhD theses. His current interest is in synthetic gauge/magnetic fields in ultracold atomic gases.
KL was promoted to the rank of Assistant Professor of Physics at the University of Zagreb in 2015. He teaches General Physics and Classical Mechanics.
- Location: University of Zagreb Faculty of Textile Technology